Thursday, December 11, 2008

Xmas -- Blasphemous?

My son, Trevor, asked me "Do you know why some people write 'Xmas' instead of Christmas? I mean do you know where it started?" I responded "Because they are in a hurry and don't want to write out Christ AND some people don't want to acknowledge that the holiday is about Christ." I thought it was a pretty good answer as I have "known" that for a long time...

WRONG! His teacher told them (thank God for teachers in PUBLIC schools that teach the kids what is right) that it is Greek symbol for the first "letter" of Christ's name... another site says that the symbol for chi (another Greek letter) and it means infinite...

I had to look it up because I was one that had jumped on the conspiracy theory band wagon that believed that it was yet another attempt for secularism to overtake Christianity...

Although I do believe that some may be doing it for that reason, probably most people are just abbreviating and we (Christians) are taking offense...

There is more on the subject, of course, so I included a couple of links to get you started if you want to read more...http://www.cresourcei.org/symbols/xmasorigin.html (this one is longer and more in depth)

http://www.answers.com/topic/xmas (this one is short and to the point)

Let me know what you think! and Merry Xmas!!!!

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

I love this discovery of yours!
I always thought of the X as a cross, but didn't like to use the abbreviation for fear that someone would think that I was trying to take Christ out of Christmas.