Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Judgement vs. Discernment

I have often times felt "weird" or "strange" about someone only to feel extremely guilty afterwards. Many times these feelings panned out to be true warning signs about someone's character, but there have also been those times when I figured out that I was judging someone by their appearances and/or first impressions of their personalities. So, how do we know the difference? I definitely want to be discerning, definitely DON'T want to be judgemental...

I think God has shown me the answer to this question through a book I'm reading "God's Will for Your Life" by Derek Prince...

"Jesus was never fooled. Nobody ever deceived Him. Jesus discerned the truth in everyone who came to Him. He saw into their inner motives and knew what they were really after....

...How can we avoid foolish judgement and wrong appraisals of people and situations? We find the key in John 5:30, where Jesus said, 'My judgement is just; My discernment is accurate. I see things the way they really are.' Why? 'Because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.'

Jesus' judgement was not clouded by His desire to get His own way. He was in neutral, so to speak, until the Father moved Him. Jesus waited for the Father's revelation of His will, and then Jesus made a just and accurate judgement."

I was intrigued by this whole idea and a light bulb came on for me. I don't know why I am surprised at the answer. Isnt' it always to lay ourselves down so He can be lifted up?

Prince goes on to say (refering to 2 Cor 4:10-12) "...Paul explained, 'So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.' The world needs channels of life, but there is a price to pay. If you want to be a channel of life to others, death has first to work in you. We cannot have it any other way or change the order. The pattern is clear: when death is at work in you, then life is at work in others. You are not here to do your own will, but to do the will of Him who sent you."

Wow, I have really got to let this sink in... if I am laying my selfish desires down and waiting for Him to show me when to move, what to say, etc... I will be discerning, not judgemental...

Discernment is spiritual, judgement is carnal... Ouch!

Lord, help me to put Your will first in everything. Help me to lay down my selfish motives in exchange for your selfless Love. I desire to do Your will and live my life with a spirit of discernment which comes from You, not a critical spirit which arises from my soul. Thank you for showing me the difference.

No comments: