Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Pursuit of Love

God has me on a quest to pursue His love. Not just know about it or recognize it in others but for me to be consumed by it, overtaken completely...dare I say become it? If God is love and He gave all He had to Christ who, in turn, gave all He had to me...isn't it possible for us to be love in flesh? It's a goal worthy of pursuit.

I have recently joined a new church and am so glad we did. These people love people like I have never seen before. I felt like I had been there for years. Also, unfortunately, I realized how love starved I was. I have been soaking it up at every opportunity. Also, instantly I desired to become a person that made others feel as loved as I felt when I walked through those doors... welcome, accepted, loved. Isn't that what we (Christians) are supposed to make people feel like all the time? Wow, how convicting to realize how far off the mark we are. At first I felt defeated facing the enormous task of loving like He loves, "I've tried this before" I thought... but this time is different. I wasn't in an atmosphere of true love the time I tried to study love before. I hadn't seen it in action. I attended a church and they are great people, but there were aires about many of the people there. I can't even put my finger on it, it wasn't that they didn't love, but something was holding everyone back from feeling completely and unconditionally loved. I didn't see it while I was in it because it felt normal. Once there was a comparison, though, I was forced to see it and deal with the issues holding me back from loving the way He loves.

I just want God... I want all He has to offer. I want to know Him as well as is humanly possible. I want to express who He is to others. The Bible says that I do this by loving... it's a tall order for sure, but through Christ I can do all things.

No comments: