Friday, September 26, 2008

Afraid of the Nothing


I don't know if you remember it or not but when I was a kid there was a movie called "The Neverending Story". I loved it. I am a dreamer and this movie was completely fantasy. In the movie there was a terrible "thing" that was sweeping over the land called "The Nothing". The whole land feared it and it was consuming the land as a rapid moving "storm" of sorts. At the end of the movie we find out that the people had the power to stop the nothing all along. Everyone was literally scared to death of something that really had no power over them. I have recently figured out that that is how most of us live our day to day lives. At least I know I did.

We are all fearful of something; maybe heights or spiders or people... but, truly, what has ever come of us climbing a ladder or having a spider near us or has anyone actually caused us harm because we spoke to them?? For me, it is mostly a people issue. I feel inferior and think that no one will actually care what I have to say. Or...I feel like I am bothering them. That's a big one. What am I afraid of, really? It's the Nothing. Fear of the unknown reaction, maybe?

What will happen if you change jobs? Scary, huh? But why? We fear the Nothing...
What about if your kids change schools? Maybe an adjustment period, sure, but is there really anything to fear? Only the Nothing. What about leaving the country? I've heard many people who say "I am happy with where I am, besides, why would I want to leave the protection of the United States." Protection? Have you watched the news lately? They fear the Nothing. To fear change is to fear the Nothing. To avoid making a phone call because you are intimidated is to fear the Nothing. To make up excuses to cover your backside is to fear the Nothing. The Nothing is everywhere...if you allow it to be.

I have decided that I will no longer fear the Nothing. I will step through that fear and live life the way God intended for me to live it...free from fear...free from the Nothing. I am praying everyday for God to give me the strength to live a life that gives Him glory. I believe that fear is the opposite of faith and without faith it is impossible to please Him, so I don't want fear in my life anymore. I have really already conquered the Nothing because I figured out its secret... it was conquered all along, it has no power over me aside from what I choose to give it.

No comments: